Medicash, the oldest health cash plan provider in the UK today (and one of Investor in Customers oldest clients), offers a wide range of affordable and flexible healthcare plans for both individuals and employers.
Over the last seven years the company has seen a momentous resurgence, doubling its policyholder base to 300,000.
2019 saw a 14% increase in policies sold compared to the previous year, and the first half of 2020 has been equally strong, despite difficult trading circumstances due to COVID 19.
Even with the issues caused by lockdown, many employers are recognising the need to invest in the health and wellbeing of their employees with 70% of all new business written between April and June coming from companies who previously had no cash plan in place.
Having moved to a fully cloud based IT operating environment at the end of 2019 meant that Medicash was able to continue delivering exceptional service with minimal disruption when the full lockdown came into effect in March. The investment in systems enabled Medicash’s workforce to work from home without impacting the customer service it prides itself on.
As an organisation with a strong financial base, the firm took the decision to not furlough any employees, but rather to focus on improving our service still further by implementing new customer centric projects. These included creating and implementing a vulnerable customers process; producing a Home Working Guide, in association with their sister company, Health@Work; contacting policyholders to suggest better ways of receiving their claim payments; and issuing regular tips and information to our corporate clients about how to look after staff wellbeing during challenging times.
Many of the service improvements were identified through the regular assessments that Medicash conduct with Investor in Customers (IIC). Medicash has worked with IIC since 2012 to assess the views of senior managers; staff and customers and is rightly really proud of its Investor in Customers Gold Award, something that it has, in 2020, achieved for the 8th successive year.
Investor in Customers (IIC) is an independent company who specialise in measuring companies customer experience levels, providing detailed feedback and management information, which enables firms which go through the process to hone in on any complaints, recommendations and comments (from staff as well as customers) and drive improvement throughout the whole company. Leading to improved customer retention and attraction and enhanced employee engagement, engendering greater loyalty and motivation.
Medicash is always looking to improve its products and services and using the IIC feedback means they can utilise some of the comments and suggestions made and improve the service it offers still further. Some of the improvements made include:
- Proactive and Plus health plans, - Enhanced and relaunched with benefit limit increases and new features such as unlimited virtual GP appointments for employees - without increasing premiums.
- Care first - Allowing policyholders to have up to 8 face to face counselling sessions per issue, (rather than per year as is the case with most providers).
- Woebot - An AI Cognitive Behavioural Therapy based app, which allows its users to track mood, identify patterns and gain insight into issues or concerns that they may not have realised were causing them emotional distress. Woebot can also instantly connect the user to a trained human counsellor when it is identified that additional support is required. This is particularly useful for people who struggle to pick up the phone to a counsellor and means uptake can be as high as 40% across a workforce.
- Virtual GP provider – Now using Medical Solutions allowing policyholders to have remote consultations with an NHS registered, GMC registered GP either digitally or over the phone.
- SkinVision – Skin cancer screening app allowing users to assess their skin spots and moles for the most common causes of skin cancer via their smartphone, delivering a risk indication for each one within 30 seconds.
- mProve YOURSELF app - This app contains a wide range of wellbeing tools and advice to help users improve their body and mind. The app allows users to access a 30-day beginners guide to a mindful life course; a range of guided meditations and breathing exercises; over 70 fitness and resistance training videos; and a range of mental wellbeing courses with information on how to cope with stress, depression, anxiety and looking after your own mental health.
- The Medicash Foundation - Medicash has played a key part in supporting its local community. In 2019 over £660,000 was donated to help support local charities and health and wellbeing related projects across the North West and further afield.
In the first six months of 2020 the Medicash Foundation has donated a further £370,000, including £100,000 of vital PPE for the NHS, North West Ambulance Service and local care homes and £165,000 to help charities suffering from lost income due to the lockdown and those launching specialist initiatives to help their communities during the pandemic.
Tony Barritt, Managing Director of Investor in Customers, commented “From their first assessment we could see that Medicash’s leadership team were committed to delivering the best possible customer service and working environment that they could. Even though they narrowly missed a Gold Award at their first attempt, scores reflected how much customers appreciated the services they received, and employees understood what they needed to do to focus on customer needs. However, the leadership team at Medicash recognised that there are no prizes for standing still and pro-actively used the feedback provided by IIC to identify how they could improve their service and also enhance employee engagement. The company is a great example of how businesses can succeed by focusing on their customers and empowering staff to do the right thing at the right time”.